Tuesday, March 17, 2020

Grace UMC and the Virus

Beloved of God,

Bishop Lewis has closed all VA Conference UM churches through March 29th. Since we are not to conduct meetings of more than 10 people that pretty much keeps us from having any meetings until further notice. If an emergency arises and a decision needs to be made we can poll everyone by email. That's my suggestion, if anyone has other ideas, please let me know. This is new territory for all of us. We need to be kind to one another. Everyone is so stressed or anxious. We're all adapting and improvising. Pray for all in leadership. We are trying to practice a nimble flexibility with all the information we are receiving.

Also, church expenses continue. Please mail your gifts [PO Box 61, Middletown VA 22645] to us or use PayPal. [Here is our PayPal link Or make your donation using your own bank online system] If you have any questions contact Carolyn Bell.

I am well aware that not everyone has email and that not everyone is on social media. I have reached out by phone to several of our members who have an illness or recent surgery. Let's all of us do that in some way. The US Postal Service is still running (I have more books on the way!) so send a card, too. I've received so many lately and they mean a lot. Interestingly enough none (!) have been identical.


And keep praying. I've been praying for all of our leaders. I've been so very impressed with Dr. Tony Fauci, haven't you? I'm so glad he is on the virus team. He's 79 and runs three miles a day! Pray for him and first responders, nurses, CNAs, physicians, office personnel, for all who work is health care in any way. As the weeks go by we're going to need them more and more.

I will be having a CT Scan Thursday. Dr. Ingram wants to see how things look after four rounds of treatments. Lisa will take me. Next Monday and Tuesday I will resume treatments for Round 5 if my blood counts permit it. I really want to get this one and the next one over with. Round 4 really took the wind out of my sails and I am ready to be done. But this virus has added a new dimension to my treatments. I have to be very careful going out. So that's why I am hardly going out at all. While Lisa can take me to my treatments next week since school is closed she is not allowed to stay. So that will be different and not quite as fun (did I really say that?!) as the other times she or Charlie have taken me. But the staff there will take really good care of me. They are wonderful, a blessing. I can't say enough good things about Dr. Ingram and everyone at Shenandoah Oncology.


Here's a passage of scripture I've been thinking about lately. It's from one of my favorite psalms. I quote from the RSV which remains one of my favorite translations along with the NRSV & NIV. For the Psalms the RSV shines brightly and is only rivaled by the KJV. Take these words to heart. Pray them during this anxious time.


"For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him. He only is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my deliverance and my honor; my mighty rock, my refuge is God. Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us." Psalm 62:5-8 RSV
Grace + peace,Clay+